Donnerstag, 12. Februar 2009

Berlin in action - Action Theater Berlin

My intention to come to Berlin in the first place was driven by partaking in a two week intensive improvisation work shop. Joya Cory, who is my improv acting teacher in San Francsico for several years now, had recommended for me to check out a new form of improvisation called Action Theater, in particular to experience the teaching with Sten Rudstrom. She sent me the course schedule and just in my mind not so coincidental there was a two week course offered in Berlin by Sten. When starting the class I had never heard of Action Theater before, but knew it would be a stretch. And what a stretch it was. I am now speaking in past tense since the class ended with two amazing evenings of live performances in a studio in Kreuzberg last weekend. Me - on stage - in Berlin Kreuzberg. I am most proud of challenging myself, overextending myself and exhausting myself to succeed in experiencing this level of live performance. It was simply amazing. I met the most incredible and most professional actors and performers during my time in Berlin. Classes lasted 6 hours a day, leading up to the two evening events in which we created an improvisation act as an ensemble. I can say I have a new appreciation for all actors out there. It's hard work. I sweat, cried, screamed on the inside and out, ran away, ripped my hair out, laughed in extacy, faught, surrendered, transformed and grew in my ability to express. This type of improvisation is different from anything I have ever done or seen before. In this form it is not words that tell the story, but a combination of body, sound, movement and language. I will not be able to express the full extend of my experience, but can share that I am hooked to continue to extend my acting skills upon my return. Here a quote which I think fits my time well from Ruth Zaporah, who invented the form of Action Theater: "I have planned nothing and that has kept me very busy. " If you want to read/learn more about Action Theater, here the web site: www.actiontheater.com

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen