Montag, 11. Mai 2009

Viva la Swine Flu

Of course I would never celebrate a world wide epidemic and most certainly share all the concerns there are around the recent Swine flu break out, but I would like to report some positive affects of the situation after coming back from Mexico. When traveling to a popular vacation destination like Cabo San Lucas in high season, one can expect a full airport with the usual Hawaiian shirt wearing people already drinking Margaritas in the airplane while getting in the mood for their trip or full hotels of the same kind, also you certainly expect having to fight for a beach chair and I heard some even get up at six in the morning only to put a towel down as a reservation indication before heading back to bed for more sleep (too funny), the clubs may be full with grinding up bumping dance scenarios. However when traveling during an outbreak of en epidemic what happens is that people panic or simply are super cautious and as such they stay away, which in this case I have to say turned out to be an advantage. I was upgraded on the airplane, had a whole seat row to myself for some peaceful sleep, was upgraded for only $10 to a 2 bedroom suite at the hotel as we were the only guests in the house, the front row beach chairs were all reserved for me, I had the pool to myself every day, the bar tender gladly mixed extra strong drinks in celebration for something to do and added a two for one offer, I walked for hours on the beach without seeing a single sole and altogether we just had Cabo all to ourselves. I felt bad for the locals loosing so much money right now on missing tourism and all conversations around this subject confirmed the situation was serious for all affected. The reason going to Mexico was for my old roommate Brad's wedding. The wedding events were extended to 5 days with tons of fun. A good solid San Francisco/DJ/Burning Man crowd as part of the wedding guests did secure a good party. The wedding was beautiful, perfect, perfectly planned and the best get away excuse I every had. I am grateful for having been invited and receiving the chance to enjoy some beach time before coming back to San Francisco and starting over. That's how it feels to me after being gone for so long. I regained my energy and am ready to start my job search and meet new people.
By the way - Why is it called swine flu and not pig flu? Anyone? It's not like swine is a commonly used English word.....

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen